Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Moving on

It's time for the UN Human Rights Commission and the Conference on Disarmament to shape up, according to Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Pierre Pettigrew. A call for reform? Not exactly.
Mr. Pettigrew was blunt regarding the “setback” of the Human Rights Commission in the last couple of years, but remained supportive. “We have to acknowledge that, but Canada and my presence here today wants to demonstrate that it is very important to move on,” he said.

It sounds like political, ah, absolution.

The bigger concern?
“Certainly, I pride myself and the government of Canada to be very, very vigilant so that we do not sacrifice human rights on the alter of greater security.”

Wow. I hope the Canadian Press reporter didn't block copy from his press release. I would like to think the reporter, at least, knew how to spell altar.

No comments: